By Popular Demand: TiVo App Now Available for Android
Companion App Places TiVo's Best in Class Experience in Even More Pockets, Enabling Users to Search, Browse and Share -- All Without Interrupting What's Playing on TV
LAS VEGAS, NV--(Marketwire - Jan 9, 2012) - TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services including digital video recorders (DVRs) today announced that its popular TiVo® App is now available on Android phones and select tablets -- providing the TiVo user experience to even more consumers, including those with the new Amazon Kindle Fire.
With the TiVo App for Android, users can search, browse, explore and share comments about their favorite TV show or movie without interrupting what's playing on their TiVo® DVR. Additionally, the app for Android and all mobile platforms brings intuitive remote control operations to the tips of users' fingers with simple gesture-based controls from the command of the couch.
Features of the app include:
- Schedule - Schedule one-time recordings and Season Pass® recordings from the device at home or on-the-go.
- Get more from your shows and movies - Explore cast and crew and other recommendations of your favorite shows without interrupting the big screen.
- Search - Search for TV shows, movies, actors or directors across both broadcast and broadband from providers such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video and more.
- Share comments with your friends - From within the TiVo App, comment and share your thoughts on your favorite programming on social networks such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Gesture-based controls - Now you can take complete control of all recordings, even move forward and backward though a show with a simple tap or swipe.
- Program Guide - Browse your full-screen TV program guide without interrupting TV viewing.
- Guest Mode - If you don't already have a TiVo DVR, you can still get the TiVo experience. Users can browse, search and scroll through program and channel guides and experience the simplicity of the TiVo interface.
"The TiVo App for iPad and iPhone was a hit in the TiVo community and we are pleased to be able to now offer this app to Android users as well," said Jim Denney, vice president and general manager for product marketing at TiVo. "The app closely replicates the look, feel and easy interface that TiVo users know and love making it a true second-screen experience and allowing users to quickly uncover program information, schedule and manage recordings, get recommendations, or even explore an actor's entire career with a simple tap."
The TiVo app for android phones is also available on Android tablets up to 7". Support for Android tablets with screen sizes larger than 7" will be coming soon. In addition to Android, the free app can be downloaded on all major mobile device platforms, including iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The TiVo App supports all high definition TiVo DVRs, including TiVo Premiere, Premiere XL, Series3 TM, HD and HD XL*.
For more information and to download the app now visit www.tivo.com/android.
* A valid TiVo user account is required for full functionality. TiVo Series3TM, HD and HD XL DVR users will enjoy the app's guide, scheduling, remote control, search and explore features, but these users should anticipate a smaller set of features and capabilities than TiVo Premiere users. The current App version generally supports android devices running OS 2.1 and above, and only on tablets that are 7" and smaller.
About TiVo Inc.
Founded in 1997, TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO) developed the first commercially available digital video recorder (DVR). TiVo offers the TiVo service and TiVo DVRs directly to consumers online at www.tivo.com and through third-party retailers. TiVo also distributes its technology and services through solutions tailored for cable, satellite and broadcasting companies. Since its founding, TiVo has evolved into the ultimate single solution media center by combining its patented DVR technologies and universal cable box capabilities with the ability to aggregate, search, and deliver millions of pieces of broadband, cable, and broadcast content directly to the television. An economical, one-stop-shop for in-home entertainment, TiVo's intuitive functionality and ease of use puts viewers in control by enabling them to effortlessly navigate the best digital entertainment content available through one box, with one remote, and one user interface, delivering the most dynamic user experience on the market today. TiVo also continues to weave itself into the fabric of the media industry by providing interactive advertising solutions and audience research and measurement ratings services to the television industry www.tivo.com
TiVo, TiVo Logo, and Trick Play are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. ©2011 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.