DirecTV has announced an upcoming slate of live 4K HDR sports, music and events broadcasts. The company said it’s the first TV provider to offer live HDR.
Last year, AT&T and NBA TV (which is run by Turner Sports and the NBA) produced a live NBA game in 4K HDR and DirecTV distributed it. But for 2018, the operator has opened up its schedule to more live HDR content, including 13 NBA games in 4K HDR this season.
But first, on Dec. 14, DirecTV will show the Pittsburgh Penguins versus Vegas Golden Knights in 4K HDR as part of an NHL Network simulcast.
In the coming weeks, DirecTV’s live 4K HDR offerings will include:
- The Brian Setzer Orchestra's 14th annual "Christmas Rocks!" concert Live from the Granada Theatre in Santa Barbara, California, on Monday, Dec. 18, at 8 p.m. PT simulcast of AXS TV.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Milwaukee Bucks on Dec. 19 at 8 p.m. from NBA TV3
- Women's college basketball University of Connecticut vs. Duquesne on Dec. 22 at 7 p.m. ET simulcasts of SNY.
- The Toronto Raptors vs. Oklahoma City Thunder on Dec. 27 at 8 p.m. ET from NBA TV.
- The annual Rose Parade. Live from Los Angeles on Jan. 1 at 11:00 am ET simulcasts of HGTV.
DirecTV customers will need 4K HDR-compatible equipment, the DirecTV Select programming package or higher, and 4K account authorization if they want to watch the live 4K HDR broadcasts.