"The performance of the router/switch market roughly reflects economic conditions, and true to form economic weakness in Europe, North America, and Latin America drove down IP router and switch revenue in the third quarter," notes Michael Howard, Infonetics Research's co-founder and principal analyst for carrier networks. "EMEA posted another negative quarter amid the ongoing fiscal crisis in Europe, and we may not see much of the usual final quarter budget flush, as it seems just as the European Commission gets closer to economic steadiness, more negative reports arrive."
Howard adds: "Although North America is showing positive economic signs, carrier router/switch revenue is down 2% from the year-ago quarter, and Latin America is slowing as many of the year-long projects in South America and Mexico wind down."
SERVICE PROVIDER ROUTER AND SWITCH MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- In 3Q12, the global service provider router and switch market, including IP edge and core routers and carrier Ethernet switches, is down 5% both sequentially and from the year-ago 3rd quarter, to just shy of $3.4 billion
- Asia Pacific is the only region up in 3Q12 over 2Q12, albeit slightly, built on a 31% spike from Japan
- In the router-only segment (IP edge and core routers), Cisco maintains its strong market share lead, but in a shakeup in the 3-way race for the next 3 leadership positions, Juniper took back the #2 spot from Huawei, who dropped to #4, while Alcatel-Lucent held steady in 3rd in 3Q12
- Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent and Huawei together account for 88% of total IP router revenue (edge and core) in 3Q12
Infonetics' quarterly service provider routers and switches report provides worldwide, regional, China, and Japan market share, market size, forecasts, analysis, and trends for IP edge and core routers and carrier Ethernet switches. The report tracks the IP edge market by application (multiservice edge, broadband remote access server, Ethernet access transport, and Ethernet service edge) and covers Alaxala, Alcatel-Lucent, Brocade, Ciena, Cisco, Ericsson, Extreme, Fujitsu, Hitachi Cable, Huawei, Juniper, NEC, Nokia Siemens, Orckit-Corrigent, Tellabs, ZTE and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
- Infonetics Carrier Routing, Switching, and Ethernet research brief: http://bit.ly/VbnK4q
- IP edge routers helping carriers overcome triple challenge of video, mobility, cloud
- Telecom outsourcing, managed services a $76 billion opportunity by 2016
- China props up IP router/switch market in Q2; Huawei takes #2 spot in routers
- Routing strategies survey shows 50% of operators to deploy caching, CDNs
- Ethernet, IP MPLS VPN services to top $81B by 2016
- Infonetics carrier survey exposes the hope and hype of SDNs
- Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent, Juniper gain carrier IP Edge router/switch share in Q1; NA up 27%
- $186 billion to be spent on carrier Ethernet equipment over next 5 years
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH AND EVENTS
- 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports Market Size and Forecast (Oct. 2)
- Infonetics CRS Report: Huawei 2011 Revenue Reconciliation (Nov. 19)
- Q3 Service Provider Routers and Switches Market Share and Forecast - Analysis (Nov. 27)
- WEBINAR: Extending Integrated Services to SMBs and Branch Offices (Dec. 5)
- WEBINAR: Subscriber Engagement: The Missing Link in Policy Control & Charging (Dec. 11)
- Small Cell and LTE Backhaul Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (Dec.)
- Telecommunications Equipment Vendor Leadership Scorecard (Dec.)
- Mobile Backhaul Wireline Equipment Vendor Leadership: Service Provider Survey (Dec.)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3395
Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.